Making decisions is never easy. There are always multiple options that have their fair share of advantages and consequences. If the choice you have to make is significant to your life and can alter your career path, then it is pertinent for you to weigh your options.

You don’t want to end up making the wrong decision that could decide what you do with this one, precious life that we are all blessed with.

About two weeks ago, I was a member of the Pacific Lutheran University football team. Being a part of this team was more than just playing football. It was centered on brotherhood.

As coach Scott Westering always says, “it’s not what you do on the field. It’s about who you are.” Being a part of this team was a great opportunity. I cherished every moment, even if I wasn’t a starter.

Once I accepted the sports editor position at The Mooring Mast, I knew the job required a lot of responsibility. I have to devote much of every week laying out the sports section. It’s a lot of work, to say the least. On the other hand, it is extremely rewarding.

After a week of combining football and my editor tasks, I knew I had to part from one of these groups. I knew I couldn’t quit my sports editor job, because I want to be a professional sports writer. I wanted to follow my dream of covering sports for a living. In the end, I knew I had to quit football.

For several days on end, I couldn’t stop thinking about the impact quitting football had on me, and I was so depressed about my decision. For a year and a half, I had been part of something special. I had quickly become great friends with many of the guys on the football team — I considered them brothers. Leaving them left a lump in my throat.

On Sept. 11, I walked to the turf field by Olson Gymnasium. I wasn’t there to practice with my teammates — I was there to tell them I was quitting. I remember it distinctly.

After my teammates huddled around me, I described how the sports editor position took too much of my time. I couldn’t handle playing football and being the sports editor. I explained it was just too much work, and I wanted to focus on being the sports editor.

The reaction from my teammates was astounding after I told them that I couldn’t play football any longer. Everyone smiled, knowing that I had made the right decision. They were glad that I was choosing what was best for my career.

Receiving such positive responses from my teammates was breathtaking. I wasn’t imagining them reacting so well. I want to thank my EMAL (Every Man a Lute) brothers for understanding my decision. It wasn’t easy to quit football, but I think in the long run, it will help me pursue a meaningful career in journalism.

Even though I did make the tough decision to quit football, I couldn’t have done it without consulting with my friends. I have a sense of faith in all of my close friends, and talking with them about what I should do helped comfort me with my choice to quit football.

If you find yourself stuck between choosing one thing over the other, don’t fret. Many people are in the same spot. Never go into a decision blindfolded. Don’t choose what to do just based off of what you think is cool or the ‘right thing’ to do.

Always converse with your friends about what you should do. Doing so can help you make tough choices that might ultimately turn the course of your life in a completely different direction.

At PLU, there are so many great avenues to choose from when you’re seeking out help on what to do. If your friends have said all they can say and you are still not totally confident in your decision, talk with a counselor.

Counselors are here at PLU to help you, and they want to succeed. If that means they have to help you make a possible life-changing decision, then so be it. That’s their job, and they’re really good at it.

This early on in my life, I’m actually glad I had to make this decision about whether or not to quit football. Making this choice to stick with my sports editor job has helped me mature and grow into a more knowledgeable person.

I have learned that life isn’t always easy, and you have to live with the choices you make.

I miss playing football nearly every day. I miss seeing every single player on the team every day. I miss Wednesday night practices under the bright lights on the turf field.

Even though I deeply miss football, I know in my heart that I made the best possible decision. It may not have been an easy one, but I can confidently say that it will help me out in the long run.

Share your thoughts