A NOTE FROM MATTHEW SALZANO, A&E EDITOR: This issue of The Mast serves for the week of Thanksgiving and is the second-to-last issue this academic year, landing right before the holiday season. This year, the staff hopes we can provide you with some holiday fun with our favorite recipes!

Crockpot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
5 lbs. red potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
8 ounce package cream cheese
8 ounce container sour cream
1 ½ cups chicken broth
3 teaspoons garlic powder
Salt to taste
½ cup butter, melted

Directions: Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and mash with cream cheese and sour cream until thoroughly combined; slowly mash in chicken broth, followed by garlic powder and salt. Beat potatoes with an electric mixer on high speed until whipped, about 2 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a slow cooker. Set slow cooker to low and cook for 3 hours. Stir melted butter into potatoes just before serving.

“I really like Crockpot Garlic Mashed Potatoes because Thanksgiving just isn’t the same at my house without these mashed morsels. The turkey is great and all, but come on. Potatoes.”
Reland Tuomi, Editor-in-Chief

Marshmallow Baked Sweet Potatoes
3 large garnet sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
1/4 cup salted butter
1/2 cup cream or whole milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Mini marshmallows (optional)

Directions: Boil sweet potatoes until soft enough to pierce easily with a fork. Drain potatoes, return to the pan and add all the ingredients except for the marshmallows. Using a potato masher or whisk, mash the mixture until smooth. If using the marshmallows, transfer the warm potatoes to a baking dish, spread marshmallows on top and bake in 350 degree oven until the marshmallows are lightly browned and melted.

“Marshmallow Baked Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes because my family always saves it for the holidays. It’s one of those things that you only get once a year, so they have an authentic feeling to them. The maple syrup and marshmallows make it seem like more of a dessert so I always save them for the end.”
Giancarlo Santoro, Sports Editor

The King Family Green Beans & Bacon
1 pound of fresh green beans
1/2 lb. of bacon
1 sweet onion, chopped

Directions: In a medium sized pot, first brown the bacon. Once bacon is somewhat cooked, add green beans and onion. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until green beans are done. Enjoy!

“I love The King Family Green Beans & Bacon because it reminds me of my Grandma. I miss her a lot during the holiday season and this is my way of including her in my holiday festivities even though she’s no longer with us.”
Allie Reynolds, Online Editor

DeFord Family Green Bean Casserole
3 cans green beans, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1 can French fried onions or 1 1/3 cups

Directions: Heat oven to 350 degrees. In medium ceramic casserole pan, mix beans, soup, milk and 2/3 cup onions. Bake for 30 minutes until hot. Top with remaining 2/3 cup onions. Bake 5 minutes more.
“I love the DeFord Family Green Bean Casserole because I grew up making it with my mom. Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also easy to make. And, bonus, it’s the ultimate comfort food that reminds me of family and fun.”
Natalie Deford, News Writer

Sam’s Leftover Sandwich
Any desired amount of:
Turkey
Cranberry Sauce
Sprouts
Sourdough bread
Mayonnaise
Green onions

Directions: Put the ingredients between the two slices of bread. Enjoy.

“After Thanksgiving, I am so full that I don’t want to cook anymore. But let’s face it, an hour later I want another snack — so I make Sam’s Leftover Sandwich. Make two, and bring one Black Friday shopping!”
Samantha Lund, News Editor

Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes
1 box yellow cake mix
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin pie mix puree
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions: Put all of the ingredients together in a mixer, and mix thoroughly. The mix will be incredibly thick, so make sure to have lots of patience as you place these into cupcake wrappers. Bake according to cake mix directions. Enjoy with store-bought cream cheese frosting!

“I pretend to be good at baking, but I’m not. Baking Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes leaves me feeling like a baking god without making me do any real work! Plus, it reminds me of how much I love home and those I cook with.”
Matthew Salzano, A&E Editor