By Ashley Gill, Opinion Editor

In college, many see Spring Break as a time for parties, sunshine and hanging out with friends. For others, it is a break from the semester spent vegging out at their parents’ house and embracing the time at home. Which is what I plan on doing.

Every Spring Break in the past, I had elaborate plans to go with my friends on a road trip, to the beach or even going out of state, and every year I end up at the same place, at home.

At first, I felt like I wasn’t living up to the college experience, that I was missing out because I didn’t cram things I do with friends anyways in the summer, during that one week in March. I soon found the value, emotionally, mentally and even psychically in just relaxing at home with my family or significant other for the entire week.

Even though I did feel unproductive during TV show Netflix binges and I did get a little jealous occasionally when I would see pictures of warm beaches on Facebook, I ended up coming back to school feeling charged up and ready to knock out the rest of the semester.

Having that down time with your loved ones has a uplifting effect and is usually less expensive than taking a trip with friends.

“It’s critical for us to be connected with our families, childhood friends, and our home because they really helped shape who we are today especially as we finish one vital chapter in our lives and move on to the next,” said senior Chelsea Dimas.

As this spring break approached, I realized that this is my last spring break before I graduate and with that comes one of the last opportunities I will get to have that down time with my family and significant other with only the stresses of school and part time jobs.

After I graduate, I am quickly tossed into a full time job and a place in my life where my future vacation times, might not line up with my family’s and my down time will only be opportunities to get other things on my “to do” list done.

Dimas, and her significant other senior Cody Driscoll plan on going home to Yakima, Wash. for Spring Break.

“Since we’ve moved here, my priorities have changed plenty and well I would much rather spend it with my family then go out with my friends,” said Dimas. “I know that sounds harsh but when you’re so far from home you really start to appreciate everything about your family even how annoyingly caring your parents can be!”

This Spring Break ended up having more value to me than I had anticipated. For the first time I embraced the fact that I will be spending this break with my loved ones, vegging out and enjoying my last break before graduation.

For graduating seniors, appreciate down time this spring break, and for other students, enjoy your experiences with your friends, but take the time to relax and spend time with family when you can as well.