TERRAN WARDEN
A&E Columnist

Zayn Malik of One Direction announced his departure from the band in search of privacy. Less than one week later, his solo music surfaces.

To many One Direction fans, last Wednesday become regarded as one of the worst days of their lives. After 5 beautiful years, the most important member of One Direction is gone.

Zayn announced his split from the band in a long statement posted on One Direction’s Facebook page writing “I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.”

Zayn added “I’d like to apologise to the fans if I’ve let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart” – which they were… check Twitter.

Understandable.

It comes as no shock since Zayn had recently left 2 of their concerts due to “stress” and remained in the UK while the other 4 boys continued on with the show in Japan. Zayn is also known as an extremely shy and introverted person.

But that was not the truth.

Very far from the truth.

Tuesday night, Producer “Naughty Boy” got into a war of words on Twitter with one of the remaining (and worst) members of One Direction, Louis Tomlinson, which ended with Naughty Boy linking to Zayn’s solo demo followed by him taking the track down.

Yes.

Zayn’s solo music. (Listen to the beautiful track here: https://soundcloud.com/zaynmalik1d-5/zayn-malik-ft-naughty-boy-i-wont-mind)

Come to find out, Zayn has been working on solo music for months now! And Naughty Boy added “There is nothing but love for what was left behind. thats why we don’t mind. 😉 #2016 #zaughty #zindabad.” to the SoundCloud description.

Now I’m torn. I love Zayn (well, fangirl-love Zayn) ever since I saw him try miserably to dance to Lady Gaga’s “Telephone” during his X Factor auditions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMvowarclQ). He’s the most beautiful man I’ve seen in my entire life.

And I really couldn’t care less about the other 4 boys. I only liked One Direction for Zayn!

But this is… excuse my language… bulls—! What kind of friend is Zayn to turn their back on his band during their tour to release his own music? Give it some time. Wait till the tour is over, something!

But I’m so happy! Not only is the music beautiful, it is completely different than One Direction’s. Zayn sings with vulnerability, and a quiet acoustic guitar. There is almost no production to his work, but more importantly, this means Zayn WILL be touring at some point – giving me the chance to meet him!

Whether I agree with Zayn’s backstabbing and lying or not, I can’t wait for Zayn to fully become a solo artist. I’ve been waiting 5 years for this. It’s possible Zayn will be the next Justin Timberlake (who left NSYNC), or the next Bobby Brown (who left New Edition).

We’ll see what happens, or as Zayn’s Twitter reads we’ll “just close our eyes and enjoy the roller coaster that is life 🙂 x”

For everything pop culture, follow @TerransTake on Twitter!