Austin Hilliker
Sports Editor

In just one semester at The Mooring Mast I learned more than I ever thought I would.
I learned how to cover captivating stories, collaborate with my fellow editors and even interview athletes that had life-altering stories.

I first came to Pacific Lutheran University wanting to be an exercise science major.

That worked out well. Now a senior and rushing to get my Communication capstone done, I look back at what I learned from The Mast and I’m forever thankful.

I came to The Mooring Mast later than most. Last February, I took on the duty of Sports Editor. At first it was a handful, learning new journalism techniques via social media, writing and interviewing people.

Now that the year is near the end, it’s still a handful, but I love it. And I don’t use that word lightly.

The relationships that I have forged, the people I have talked to and the advisers that have knocked me down five times, but picked me up six, have helped me become not only a better writer and reporter, but also a better person.

There is nothing else to say but thank you. Thank you to the readers, thank you to my co-workers, thank you to my critics and everyone else in between. What I have learned here will forever change my life.

I can’t wait to step into the world of journalism and show off my skills that this paper has given me. It’s time to step into mom and dad’s real world and make something special out of my life. Because I worked for The Mooring Mast, I’ll be able to do something more than special.

I’ll be able to do something exceptional and beyond. Until then, I wish the best for the future years of this paper. I can’t wait to see what happens next.