Softball highlight: An interview with Emily McConnell

Cara Gillespie
Sports Writer
gillesce@plu.edu

Emily McConnell is a returning third baseman/outfielder for the Women’s Softball team. McConnell, who received All-NWC honors last year, returns to the field with high hopes for the season. I sat down to get to know her and to hear her perspective on fall ball and the upcoming season.

Mast Media: What are you studying at PLU?
Emily McConnell: I am a biology major.

MM: What are you planning to do after you graduate?
EM: When I graduate, I would like to pursue a career in marine biology either doing research or helping in an aquarium.

MM: What is your favorite thing about playing softball at PLU?
EM: The team chemistry and all the excitement we bring to all the games and practices and just having fun together.

MM: How is fall ball going?
EM: Really well. We have a lot of new and fresh talent with both first-year and transfers. It is very exciting to see how we are all going to come together and play come the springtime.

MM: What is the biggest improvement you want to see during fall ball?
EM: This season, I would really like to see us grow together, to all become more comfortable with each other. We want to have that relationship that all good teams seem to have.

MM: What does the team chemistry look like now and how do you want it to look in January?
EM: Right now, the newcomers seem not as comfortable with all the returners as the returners are with each other. By the time season starts, I would like everyone to feel comfortable with each other. I hope that come January everyone is friends on and off the field, so we have that chemistry when we play.

MM: How are you working to build team chemistry now?
EM: Our team tries to have positive communication with each other. Outside of practice, we spend a lot of time together both working the volleyball games and team bonding.

MM: What skills are the team looking to improve on?
EM: We really want to focus on our hitting and bring in the offense that we can all bring to the field.

MM: What are five facts everyone should know about you?
EM: I have a brother who goes to PLU, I work for PLU Recreations as an intramural referee, I have been playing softball since I was six years old, I was born in Amarillo, Texas and I can’t touch my toes.

Want to hear it from Emily? Check it out…

Samantha Lund

Samantha Lund was the Editor in Chief at The Mast, a student-run newsroom within Pacific Lutheran University, in 2015-16. Lund created Mast Magazine in 2015 to give students a forum for long form news pieces. She could be found writing for Pacific Lutheran University's Marketing and Communication site plu.edu or interning at MOViN 92.9's morning talk show in Seattle. Other places to find her content include: Alaska Airlines blog and website, The News Tribune and The Bremerton Harald.