Cam Newton: Great Athlete, Not a Great

DYLAN FORMAN

Sports Writer

foremadf@plu.edu

Leadership is defined by how you act in crisis. It’s not defined after a win. My grandpa Frosty Westering used to say, “How you win a game shows some of your character, how you lose a game, shows all of it.”

Lets rewind the clocks back a year to

Super Bowl XLIX. Russell Wilson lost on a soul crushing play when he threw a pick to end the game. Thirty minutes later when asked whose fault it was Russell Wilson said in crisis, “I’ll take the blame. It’s on me, it’s a big moment and we will get better from it.”

Now let’s flash forward back to present day. Thirty minutes after Super Bowl XLIX, Cam Newton who leads by dab constantly, answered the 11 of the 13 questions that he was asked; with three words or less. He put his hood on and reminded me of a little kid who didn’t get dessert and so isn’t talking to his parents because of it. Yet last week when he was winning his attitude was look at me, I’m the guy.

Now when he faces a little crisis, he pouts as well as walks off the podium during his press conference.

Now of course he was upset after the loss. As an athlete myself I can totally understandthat. But don’t you think Russell Wilson was upset after throwing a pick to lose the super bowl? You better believe he was. Yet he exemplified class by taking the blame and being a professional in front of the media.

That’s leadership and that’s what separates Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. You want Russell in your foxhole because you know when things get tough, he’s not going to quit. Cam won’t even dive for a fumble in the Super Bowl because he worried about getting injured. I bet that sat well with the other 52 Carolina Panthers that were playing their hearts out to win that game.

Seahawks Linebacker Bruce Irvin tweeted after that play took place thatRussellwould’ve tried to recover that football. So I’m not the only one who thinks this. A few Lute athletes have their own take on Cam Newton’s press conference.

Junior football player Brady Daly said, “I lost a lot of respect for Cam after the way he conducted himself in the press conference. He’s supposed to be the leader of the team. I’m quite sure he’s going to regret it.” Senior ultimate Frisbee player Greg Danese had this to say on the matter: “The way he acted after the game was extremely immature and he needs togrow up.”

When Cam broke into this league, you saw him pout, sulk, and throw many temper tantrums because he played onan average team and he faced adversity. You never get a second chance to make a first impression I look at Cam as a transcendent athletic figure, but a lot of the stuff that Cam did four years ago has now resurfaced. 🅼

2 thoughts on “Cam Newton: Great Athlete, Not a Great

• February 18, 2016 at 10:09 pm
    Permalink

First of all, every single player handle losing a big game very differently. What Cam did might have been his way of showing how much he hates losing. But there was one important thing this “biased” writer forgot to mention (Cam walked up to P. Manning to congratulate him on his win. Now, remember when P Manning lost super game to the Saints, what did Manning do, didn’t he head straight to the locker room whether applauding the winning team). Cam still has the chance to prove to the world, and mostly his doubters that he’s the “Greatest” that ever play football; because he’s young and has the talent, skills and the capability to get it done. People question his leadership and his maturity long before he even began playing for the panthers, and i always wonder: ” who are you to judge another man character” I certainly understand you have to criticize the player every now and then but it gets so boring and exhausting talking about the same person over and over again, as we are aware you are dead wrong. you can not compare Russell and Cam, 2 different players. unless you’re suggesting Cam she behave accordingly as a black QB, if that’s the case then it makes total sense. but if that’s not the case, there’s no comparison. Seahawk players and their fans are just upset because they lost the same team they used to beat couple seasons ago. People could say they lost respect for Cam, but guess what it doesn’t matter, because he had to make people respect him but now they want to take it back. It’s too little too late for that now b/c he never care(d) and it never make a difference before, and it sure wouldn’t make any difference now. Just so you know, I am from NE, so Pats fan but cannot stand this double stand. It’s football, you not suppose to be mature for this game: ask Roger G.B QB or JJ Watt or Rob Gronk.

Reply
  • February 20, 2016 at 8:08 pm
    Permalink

Cam Newton is like Terrell Owens. He’s behavior will always eclipse his athletic ability in a negative way.

Look for his to struggle, throw more tantrums, and look to be traded when the locker room implodes.

Reply