Community

News focusing on Parkland and the greater Pierce County community.

New youth group connects students to community

GENNY BOOTS; Online Editor; bootsgj@plu.edu Pacific Lutheran University’s newest Campus Ministry project, Connect, is pretty aptly named. Connect youth group is bringing together high schoolers from neighboring         Lutheran churches and...

Student art sale features Lutes’ work

BROOKE THAMES; Editor-In-Chief; thamesbe@plu.edu As spring semester winds down, students vigorously work to put the cap on their capstones. Senior Elizabeth “Liz” Perkins is no exception as she places the finishing touches...

Diversity Debacle: New residential communities are not diversity

KIANA NORMAN-SLACK; Online Copy Editor; normanks@plu.edu Starting next year, Pacific Lutheran University will have residential wings exclusively for marginalized groups in PLU residence halls. The few new ones that I...

Shaking up Stuen: Students question diversity of new Residential Learning Communities

SARAH CORNELL-MAIER; News Co-Editor; cornelsm@plu.edu Housing has always been a hot topic at Pacific Lutheran University, and is especially prominent as housing applications open for the 2017-2018 school year April 5. This...

Coffee shops and deep talks: Topics on Tap at 208 Garfield

GENNY BOOTS; Online Editor; bootsgj@plu.edu Dimly lit conversations on identity, politics and race have brought students, faculty and community members to 208 Garfield for Topics on Tap. These events were organized about...

Library faces budget cuts

HELEN SMITH; Mast Radio News Host; I Mortvedt Library is cutting their spending, and some resources won’t be returning for next year. Pacific Lutheran University’s library budget decreased because of the school-wide budget...

Women Take the Day- Feminist rally addresses intersectionality and women’s rights

MAST STAFF; Editor-in-Chief; mast@plu.edu More than 100 Pacific Lutheran University students, faculty and community members gathered in Red Square to support A Day Without a Woman on Wednesday March 8. Students and...
Parkland

A Tale of Two Parklands

Breanna Wiersma; Copy Editor; wiersmbm@plu.edu It’s 2 a.m., and I’ve woken up with an annoyingly persistent headache. I don’t have a car, my friends are all sleeping and I’m out of...

PLU’s $3 Million Problem

MAST STAFF; mast@plu.edu ‘Money talks,’ as the old saying goes — and the conversation Pacific Lutheran University students are missing out on is the $3 million budget shortfall. Earlier this year, administrators...

EDITOR PICKS