Community

News focusing on Parkland and the greater Pierce County community.

Parkland dreams

LUCAS SCHAUMBERG News Writer schaumlc@plu.edu “I’ve been knocked down before,” says Felix Guzman. “But this time feels as though I’ve been hit when I was still getting back up. If something happens,...

Community Spotlight: Ian Smith first generation student

JAKE BILYEU News@Nine Producer bilyeuja@plu.edu When Pacific Lutheran University students take a walk through campus, they’re bound to pass several other students, each with his or her own unique story.  Some may be...

Elect Her inspires women to reach for their dreams

SAMANTHA LUND Editor in Chief lundsr@plu.edu Pacific Lutheran University was selected as one of 20 campuses nationwide to host this year’s Elect Her workshop series sponsored by the national American Association of University...

Coffee and music lovers

MADDIE BERNARD Guest Writer bernarma@plu.edu Northern Pacific Coffee Company is back and better than ever. The coffee shop on Garfield Street re-opened Jan. 18 under the new management of Wes Johnson. Johnson, a Tacoma...

KPLU: The Last Jam?

JESSICA LEE Guest Writer leejn@plu.edu The KPLU Christmas Jam, Thursday Dec. 10, marks the 19th year of a holiday jazz musical tradition. The Christmas Jam started at KPLU nearly two decades ago by...

Students buy art, food for a cause

RHIANNON BERG News Writer bergau@plu.edu More than 200 Pacific Lutheran University students and community members lined up Nov. 18 to support local food banks in Tacoma. Donors received a handmade bowl and soup...

Lutes show silent solidarity

Jeff Dunn News Editor dunnja@plu.edu Several dozen Pacific Lutheran University students and faculty stood outside the steps of the Karen Hille Phillips Center in silent solidarity with the University of Missouri during...

Patty: Diving into the life of PLU’s first lady and number one fan

By Matthew Salzano Patty Krise leads the way into her office. As she poses for photos at her mahogany desk, she points out some details in the room. She sits behind...

SUNDAY FUNDAY: PLU Church Event Engages Community

BROOKE THAMES A&C Editor thamesbe@plu.edu As a university that seeks to exemplify inquiry, service, leadership and care, Pacific Lutheran University constantly pursues opportunities to impact the community. This weekend, PLU hosts PLU...

EDITOR PICKS