Community

News focusing on Parkland and the greater Pierce County community.

NoPaCoCo: the Spirit of Parkland

PARIS FRANKIN; Culture Editor; franklpm@plu.edu As a student, it’s easy to feel like Parkland revolves around Pacific Lutheran University. While this is somewhat true —the area developed when Norwegian-Americans established the...

House fire near PLU disperses community members, students

RHIANNON BERG; News Editor; bergau@plu.edu A house fire across the street from Pacific Lutheran University Wednesday night left a charred home, lost family photos, displaced students and unanswered questions. “I felt the heat...

From the Editor: In with the new

MATTHEW SALZANO; Editor-in-Chief; salzano@plu.edu On New (School) Year’s Day 2014, my first year, I took a selfie with my adviser. Even though she had tasked every new advisee with this, I was...

New campaign asks PLU community to Listen

RHIANNON BERG; News Editor; bergau@plu.edu  This is the first article in the new Mast Media series “Exploring Diversity.” It aims to contribute to and report on campus conversations about diversity.  A new Pacific...

House fire near PLU displaces community members, students

https://youtu.be/2iP-d_r6zJ0 RHIANNON BERG News Editor bergau@plu.edu A house fire across the street from Pacific Lutheran University Wednesday night left a charred home, lost family photos, displaced students and unanswered questions. “I felt the...

Remembering ​Tom Pfeifle

The following was written by Tom’s family members and given to The Mast. Edits have been made for clarity and length. Thomas Craig Pfeifle, age 19, son of Jane and...

Lutes react: Cruz drops out of GOP primaries

LIBBY POSTVOIT; Copy Editor: postovlg@plu.edu After losing Indiana’s primary in a landslide to Donald Trump on May 3, presidential candidate Ted Cruz announced that he was leaving the presidential race for...

Friends of 88-5 FM propose cheaper sale

JEFF DUNN; News Editor: dunnja@plu.edu Friends of 88-5 FM released a letter of intent last Tuesday asking Pacific Lutheran University to lower its asking price for KPLU from $7 million to $6...

Garfield Book Company: saying good-bye to a dud?

JEFF DUNN News Editor dunnja@plu.edu The Garfield Book Company will shut down this summer at it’s current location on Garfield Street, just east of Pacific Lutheran University’s campus. PLU began appraising the Garfield...