Terran Warden, A&E Columnist
It’s been a long time since our last Terran’s Take, so here’s a recap of everything you need to know –– from the controversies to the just plain bizarre, and everything in between.
To hear more of what happened while we were gone be sure to check @TerransTake on Twitter! Follow us for real-time updates on pop culture, entertainment, celebrity and more!
- Marina and the Diamonds spent the holidays promoting her upcoming third album, Froot, by releasing two new singles. The first, “Happy,” was released Dec. 12 and the second, “Immortals,” was released Jan. 1. The next single – which she calls “The Froot of the Month” – is set to be released Feb. 2.
- Nicki Minaj released her third album, The PinkPrint, on Dec. 12. The album marks a more mature time in her life, without the neon wigs, and she sings of her abortion at 16, heartbreak, lies, and more.
- Charli XCX released her sophomore album, Sucker, on Dec. 15. The album is nothing similar to her 2012 debut, True Romance, instead, it is a mix of bubblegum pop and The Ramones – which she cites as her inspiration.
- Tove Lo cancelled all her performances for the next 2 months after announcing she will be having surgery to remove cysts from her vocal chords.
- Iggy Azalea announced her 2015 tour dates, The Great Escape Tour. She skips Washington State.
- Golden Globe nominations were announced. Nominations include: Lana Del Rey for her songs in the film “Big Eyes” and Lorde for her Hunger Games song, “Yellow Flicker Beat.”
- Lady Gaga and Adele will be recording a piano-led duet later this year — they have become close friends.
- Justin Bieber spent Dec. 14 in Seattle at church, rumored to be visiting Hailey Baldwin (Bieber has denied allegations she is his girlfriend). Later, Bieber went to the Caribbean where he broke his foot playing soccer. Recently, he stars in an ad campaign for Calvin Klein, with a photoshoot emphasizing bulging underwear. The bulge is apparently fake – it wasn’t there the last time he was in his undies.
- Madonna came back into headlines suddenly when her songs began to leak.
- On Nov. 28, two songs surfaced online but were immediately taken down.
- On Dec. 17, a total of 13 songs surfaced online with the cover artwork. Madonna took to Instagram to express her anger — comparing the song leak to “artistic rape” and terrorism.
- Due to the leak, Madonna and her team worked into overdrive, releasing the album to iTunes months early, allowing a preorder which gave fans six songs instantly.
- That didn’t stop the leaks for the upcoming album, “Rebel Heart.” On Dec. 23, 14 more songs leaked followed by two more on Dec. 27. By the start of 2015, Madonna had 31 songs leak — we’ve heard the entire album (and then some!) by now.
- Madonna again stirred up controversy on social media, this time for uploading photos of other people with the black ribbons/ropes on their faces, mimicking the album cover.
- She first uploaded photos of Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga but quickly moved on to pictures of Martin Luther King Jr., Princess Diana, Bob Marley, and more – calling them “Rebel Hearts,” like herself, amidst much backlash.
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon confirmed their divorce. They are parents of twins Morocco and Monroe.
- Elton John married his longtime partner David Furnish. The two had a civil union for nine years prior to their marriage and share two sons.
- Lady Gaga alluded to her engagement to longtime boyfriend, actor Taylor Kinney, on Instagram. She posted pictures of her dog in a wedding veil, which she immediately deleted. (photo)
- Chris Rock and his wife Malaak Compton-Rock announced their divorce after 19 years of marriage.
- Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton called it quits after 13 years. The two never married but have two children together.
- Kourtney Kardashian revealed the name of her third child with Scott Disick, a son named Reign Aston Disick.
- Keira Knightley announced her pregnancy with husband James Righton. Ashlee Simpson announced her pregnancy with husband Evan Ross – her second child but first with Ross. Teen Mom star Maci Bookout announced her pregnancy with her second child – her first with boyfriend Taylor McKinney. Benedict Cumberbatch and his fiancée Sophie Hunter announced their pregnancy with their first child.
- Kim Kardashian posted a photo on Twitter and Instagram of herself – cropping out her baby with Kanye West, North. (photo)